Wednesday, September 20, 2017

My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe

This recipe comes from a community cookbook that I received for a wedding shower gift back in 1979. The covers are missing and the book itself is held together with a rubber band.  It's only a matter of time before I lose the page with this recipe on it, as it's already ripped and stained,  so I thought I would save it here.

I freeze bananas that are too ripe to eat and often use those in this recipe. I find that when I thaw frozen bananas, there can be a lot of watery liquid on the package. I drain most of that off, and sometimes I also decrease the milk in the recipe by an ounce or so.

BANANA BREAD

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
3 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder. (Yes, that really is a tablespoon)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts  (optional, I never add these)

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream margarine, beat in egg and bananas, add milk, then sugar.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together, add to ingredients in mixing bowl.  Combine, then stir in nuts.  Bake in greased loaf pan for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment