Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What we are eating this week.


Yesterday I tried this recipe for a pork loin roast.
Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast
It had quite a number of very positive reviews, so I was hopeful for a nice tender roast. My pork roasts are usually dry, whether I put them in the oven or the crockpot.  Even an instant read meat thermometer hasn't improved this.  This meat was okay, but not great, and still pretty dry, even though I left the fat on top.  Also, I really felt that the rather bland, not especially tangy sauce needed some help. I ended up whisking in 3 or 4 tablespoons of brown gravy mix, not enough to make it very thick, but enough to add a bit of a salty taste to the rather lack-luster sweet and sour taste that was going on.  This also added a bit of visual appeal, as the sauce was a really unappealing watery looking liquid. My crockpot was set on warm at this point.  I turned the crockpot up to high and let it cook for close to another hour.  Meanwhile I sliced the roast and put the slices into the gravy to stay hot, and maybe get a bit moister.  The end result was passable.  We will eat it, but I won't make this particular recipe again.  Guess I will keep looking for a good recipe,
Anyhow, now I have all this roast pork to use up.

Today, however, it will be burgers on the grill, along with baked onion rings and carrot sticks and cucumber slices. (It's sunny and relatively warm for a change!)
Thursday: pulled pork on buns, corn chips, salad, maybe baked beans
Friday:  leftover pork with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans
Saturday:  we are going to finish demolishing the kitchen in preparation for installation of new cabinets next week, so we are going out for dinner
Sunday: ham, hash brown potato casserole, (both in crockpots, since stove will be out of commission), rolls, corn and applesauce

The beginning of next week will be microwave, or toaster oven stuff, as I'm not sure how long the kitchen will be out of commission.  Our youngest daughter came over for a day a few weeks ago, and we made a bunch of freezer meals, most of which can be microwaved or baked.




No comments:

Post a Comment