Monday, April 6, 2009

Dark Chocolate Scarf


This scarf works well for a man, since it isn't at all lacy.

This isn't by any means an original stitch pattern. I've seen it or something very similar in several patterns.

I apologize for the lousy picture. I tried to get a close up picture to show how nice this simple stitch pattern looks. It kind of reminds me of frozen waffles. Eventually I will get a better picture and replace this one, but I don't seem to be able to get one today.

Materials:
Worsted weight yarn (I used one 6 oz skein of TLC Essentials in dark brown, to make a scarf that measures about 7 inches wide by 5 feet long.)
size K hook (6.5 mm)

Gauge; doesn't matter
My scarf came out about 7 inches wide. I worked the scarf quite loosely.

Stitches used:
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
sc2tog - single crochet two together (insert hook in 1st sc, draw up loop, insert hook in next sc, draw up loop, put loop of yarn around hook, and draw through all three loops on hook)

Chain 22 loosely(or any even numberof chains depending on the width you want)

Row 1: sc in second chain from hook and in each chain across (21 sc) (pattern works on any uneven number of stitches)

Row 2: ch 1,* sc2tog in next 2 sc, ch 1*, repeat from *to* until you get to the last stitch, sc in last stitch.

Row 3 and following rows: ch 1, *sc2tog using the sc and the ch 1 loop from the previous row as the two stitches that you sc together, ch 1* repeat from * to * until you get to the last stitch, sc in last stitch.

Continue row 3 until the scarf is as long as you want it to be.

Last row: sc in each stitch and ch 1 loop across. (21 sc.)

This doesn't make a perfectly straight edge, but I like the way it looks, kind of a subtle wavy edge,so I leave it as it is, but if you wanted to you could edge it in sc.


I also like this stitch pattern for dishcloths because it is quite solid, but not too thick to get into small places.
You can also do this stitch by stitching into the chain loop rather than into the ch 1 space. I just think it's easier to go into the space, and it makes the stitch a little more solid.


Pattern is untested, except by myself. Please let me know if something is unclear, or you find a mistake.
You may sell items made from this pattern, but you may not sell the pattern or publish it anywhere else. Please link to the pattern if you post a picture elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment